Steve and I chose to spend the second part of our Sri Lankan adventure calling the magical little surf town of Weligama home – a quiet little surf haven on the south coast of Sri Lanka. From the moment we arrived, we knew it was the perfect place for us to spend the next ten days!

Mirissa beach

Surfers showing us how it’s meant to be done at Ahungama

 At the last minute we rang to book our first night into the Hangtime Hostel, a groovy place run by an Aussie called Niall which had super cool old fishing boats for bed frames!  Before we got off the phone, we were easily convinced to go on the hostel yacht cruise that afternoon, Stevo having already said yes without asking for any further details.  By 3pm we had arrived at the marina in Mirissa, and spent the afternoon in Weligama Bay sampling the local Arak punch.  Not recommended as we woke in the morning to find various selfies with our new friends from the night before – who we didn’t even remember 🙂
The hostel being so popular, it was booked out for the rest of the time so we left our bags at reception and set off to find ourselves a room.  We didn’t have to go far, as we found the perfect place around 100m down the road – a cosy little pad with a view from the veranda, just steps from the beach, with air con and breakfast included too!  We would soon find out that the people that ran the place were amazing, treated us like family, and the breakfasts were generous and tasty, cooked by the former breakfast chef at the Mount Lavinia hotel which is one of the most famous Hotels in Sri Lanka.  A specialty was his hoppers – Sri Lankan pancakes served with fish or chicken curry. The room service curry we ordered was amazing too – Yum!

Hoppers! Our favourite breakfast!

 We settled in and spent the days surfing, eating more curry triangles, and watching the cricket – although Australia were playing Sri Lanka, sadly this was in Australia!  Just our luck… using Weligama as our base, took the local “disco buddha” buses and trains to explore the coast. Over the days we went to a local surfing competition in Midigama, went diving on an old English wreck at Unawatuna, explored the cricket ground and the old Dutch Fort at Galle, took an afternoon trip to eat fresh seafood in Hikkaduwa, and had massages in nearby Mirissa.  We also took a sunset trip down to Ahungama to Palm beach where the stilt fisherman work their craft.

Having ourselves a lovely seafood lunch at Hikkaduwa

The old Dutch fort at Galle

Galle International Cricket Ground

Local Stilt fisherman

With around three days to go, we found the local fish market, and made friends with local chef Dil who certainly knew her stuff!  Three nights in a row we went to sample her delicious cooking, whole dolphinfish, mudcrab, blue king prawns, and chilli prawns were all absolutely amazing!!

Dil the Sri Lankan fish expert

Amazing fresh whole dolphinfish!

It was eventually time to head back to Colombo for our flight, and we left it to the last possible moment to catch the train, thats how much we loved this little town.  Stopping through the Cinnamon Grand to sample the vegetarian buffet dinner, we easily found the airport shuttle bus and arrived in plenty (too much) time for our flight!

It is hard to explain exactly why this beautiful country left such an impression on me, but as a first time visitor I know for sure I will be back.  The people are friendly, food is plentiful and delicious, beaches and mountains are lovely, and it is super easy to get around on the local transport.  Can’t wait for the next trip to the east coast!